In order to qualify for our programs, you must be:
- At least 18 years of age.
- Diagnosed a developmental disability.
- Enrolled at your local Regional Center.
“Developmental disability” means a disability that originates before an individual attains 18 years of age; continues, or can be expected to continue, indefinitely; and constitutes a substantial disability for that individual. This includes intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, and autism. This also includes disabling conditions found to be closely related to intellectual disability or to require treatment similar to that required for individuals with an intellectual disability, but shall not include other handicapping conditions that are solely physical in nature.
Regional centers are nonprofit private corporations that contract with the Department of Developmental Services to provide or coordinate services and supports for individuals with developmental disabilities. They have offices throughout California to provide a local resource to help find and access the many services available to individuals and their families.
Some of the services and supports provided by the regional centers include:
- Information and referral
- Assessment and diagnosis
- Lifelong individualized planning and service coordination
- Purchase of necessary services included in the individual program plan
- Resource development
- Assistance in finding and using community and other resources
- Advocacy for the protection of legal, civil and service rights
- Early intervention services for at risk infants and their families
- Genetic counseling
- Family support
- Planning, placement, and monitoring for 24-hour out-of-home care
- Training and educational opportunities for individuals and families
- Community education about developmental disabilities
To enroll in our programs, you will need to make the request with your assigned Regional Center. The service coordinator or counselor assigned to you at the Regional Center will need to submit a request for services.
We currently provide services within the Greater Los Angeles area. This includes areas within the catchment areas of South Central Los Angeles Regional Center (Central and South Los Angeles area), Westside Regional Center (Culver City, Inglewood, Santa Monica areas), Frank D. Lanterman Regional Center (Downtown and Hollywood areas) and Eastern Los Angeles Regional Center (Northeast Los Angeles, Alhambra, Temple City areas).